Originally developed by the American Academy of Pediatrics Ohio Chapter Committee on Sports Medicine and Fitness, each issue of Sports Shorts examines a single sports-related condition and is designed for both physicians and parents. One side has information for the physician and the other side has information for the parent and patient, which can be copied and distributed to families during a health care visit. Sports Shorts is published 3 times a year in AAP News.
Sport-Specific Issues [only available online]
To view the issues of Sports Shorts listed below listed below, you will need Adobe Reader. You may download Adobe Reader for free at www.adobe.com.
- Issue 1. Soccer. December 2003
- Issue 2. Gymnastics. November 2004
- Issue 3. Basketball. January 2005
- Issue 4. Jogging & Competitive Running. February 2006
- Issue 1. Head Injuries. February 2000
- Issue 2. Exertional Heat-Related Illness. May 2000
- Issue 3. Lateral Ankle Sprain and Rehabilitation. September 2000
- Issue 4. Wrestling. February 2001
- Issue 5. Common Finger Injuries in Athletes. May 2001
- Issue 6. Nutrition. August 2001
- Issue 7. Anterior Knee Pain in Young Athletes. March 2002
- Issue 8. Female Athlete Triad. July 2002
- Issue 9. Sudden Cardiac Death. November 2002
- Issue 10. Lower Back Pain in Athletes. April 2004
- Issue 11. Shoulder Injuries. August 2004
- Issue 12. Performance-Enhancing Substances. November 2004
- Issue 13. Exercise-Induced Asthma. April 2005
- Issue 14. ACL Injuries in Female Athletes. August 2005
- Issue 15. Foot Pain. November 2005
Sports Nutrition Helpful Handouts
The information contained in this publication should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your pediatrician. There may be variations in treatment that your pediatrician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances.